The Chicken was pretty good (i call it chicken to entice the children, to be honest there were twice as many vegies as chicken lol). the spice was a bit hot for us - everyone can eat spicy food except ryan, but he can hardly tolerate any. also it was a little cinnamon-y for me - i LOVE cinnamon, but not so much in a savory dish. i think I'll update the spice recipe for next time...
if i was cooking this for anyone else other than my own family i would have included some currants in the chicken (or possibly in the rice if i was doing it with turmeric etc) and maybe some capsicum or whatever took my fancy.
please note i have never eaten moroccan food so have no idea what authentic tastes like!!!
Moroccan Chicken and Vegies
1 tab olive oil
1 large onion diced
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
gently fry until nearly see through. turn up heat and add
2 chicken breasts, diced into 1-2cm pieces
2 tabs moroccan spice mix
fry until starting to turn white
top with enough hot water to nearly cover.
add diced pumpkin (maybe 500g????) and 1 sweet potato diced, approx 1-2cm pieces
1 tin diced tomatoes
(add currants and capsicum at this stage if desired)
simmer until vegies are cooked and sauce is slightly thickened.
add in some chopped coriander
serve with steamed vegies (broccoli & peas were ryan's request, who am i to say no to a child requesting vegies???!!!) and rice.
brazen's moroccan spice mix blend:
i made mine in my thermomix so used a mix of whole spices (i used slightly more of the whole ones) and ground. feel free to use whatever's easiest. also i actually used tablespoons instead of teaspoons but that made a lot LOL (one tupperware oval one full) so you might want to stick with teaspoons ;)
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (i used 3 of cumin seeds)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt (i used stock powder but it wasn't enough, i added in quite a bit more, probably doubled it)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (i'm not sure i used this much, i got tired of grinding LOL)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (i used whole cloves but didn't add extra, i'm not a huge clove fan)
- around 4 tspns of cornflour